Video Quick Bytes
- Views: 109 Lake Erie Legacy: Protecting Wetlands for Clean Water Quick Byte
Explore the value of wetlands, their role in keeping Lake Erie clean and how individuals like you can help protect them. Learn how the data from a monitoring program at Old Woman Creek, an estuary in Huron, Ohio, aids researchers in developing strategies to reduce pollutants from entering the watershed.
- Views: 122 Lake Erie Legacy: Wetlands Breaking Down Pollution Quick Byte
Explore how pollutants are broken down in wetlands and how individuals can help reduce pollutants from entering our rivers and streams. Learn how technical advancements such as Ultra Sound, and naturally occurring sunlight, can break down mercury, pesticides, antibiotics and other chemicals before they reach Lake Erie.
- Views: 129 Lake Erie Legacy: Influencing Regional Weather & Climate Quick Byte
What do weather and climate have to do with the preservation of natural wetlands and estuaries? How do cycles of drought and rain, temperature, snowfall, and other phenomena affect the natural and beneficial life of a wetland?
- Views: 102 Lake Erie Legacy: Confronting Nonpoint Pollution Quick Byte
What is nonpoint pollution? How can it be reduced and prevented? And how can a natural wetland like Old Woman Creek Estuary help confront it before it reaches Lake Erie?
- Views: 95 Lake Erie Legacy: Our Changing Climate Quick Byte
Scientists agree that our climate is changing. How do greenhouse gas and carbon emissions cause extreme weather. How does climate change affect natural wetlands, and Lake Erie's economically strategic watershed? What can we do as individuals to participate in protecting the lake and wetlands like Old Woman Creek?
- Views: 90 Lake Erie Legacy: Tracking Beach Health Quick Byte
How do scientists determine when it is safe to swim in Lake Erie? Follow along as investigators test the waters and work to develop more accurate and rapid methods to track beach health.
- Views: 96 Lake Erie Legacy: Aquatic Invaders - Disrupting the Balance Quick Byte
Explore how aquatic invasive species have impacted the ecology of Lake Erie. Discover the different types of invasive fish, plankton and even plant species. Find out how they have been introduced to the lake, the affects they may have on the ecology and what you can do to avoid introducing new invasive species to the lake.
- Views: 114 Lake Erie Legacy: Preventing Harmful Algal Blooms Quick Byte
Discover how human activity can contribute powerfully to harmful algal blooms. What can we do to help prevent the run-off of phosphorus – a common farm fertilizer and key nutrient for algae? Why is the preservation of a natural wetland so critical to preventing algal blooms?